When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, December 7, 2009

Nicolás Uribe

Here's an extraordinary painter who recently had this to say on his blog: "...I like to remind myself that I actually am an illustrator (at least it says so in the diploma... truth is I am one at heart)." Illustrators often spend years developing their craft in ways that other artists all too often simply avoid. The results show when they turn that craft to their own personal endeavors. But his art goes well beyond the exceptional craftsmanship of his technique. There are enough visual ideas in his portfolio to sustain the careers of several artists.
Check out his website: www.uribearts.com. And if you want to see what he's been doing lately you could follow his blog. There's also a nice interview posted as a lonely blog entry by the artist Gage Opdenbrouw.

Oh, and you really, really ought to click on these images to view them larger!






















"Oz" no size indicated 2009






















"Gods & gods" 140x105'5cm mixed media 2008






















"Arruinados" 139x120cm mixed media 2008






















"Marriage" 75x45cm oil on linen 2007

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, in my limited experience doing professional illustration work I've found that having someone over my shoulder calling for constant changes forced me to develop a different set of skills than I normally use when working as a fine artist and can indulge myself without having another voice in the room making demands throughout the process.

    That said, I do enjoy the personal work much more than any illustration work I've ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The actual job of illustration (assuming you can't pick and choose assignemnts - and few can) is a poor-paying and thankless one. But it does hone the skills.

    ReplyDelete