When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Rick Araluce

Rick Araluce creates small mysterious spaces where something has happened, maybe recently, maybe long ago. There are stories here but the participants of those stories are no longer present. In a way, these are ghost stories and we are left to wonder why they haunt us.
He painstakingly creates all the objects in his scenes including the box they exist in, the broken drywall, the lighbulbs and electrical chords. He also takes these tiny objects and distributes them in site specific locations as part of a series of outdoor installation projects. And there's a giant old-fashioned telephone receiver lying on a gallery floor with it's wire rudely cut, but sounds are coming from it. Explore his website . You'll be glad you did.























"The Fall" 5x3.5x1.75"






















"The Fall" detail






















"The Descent" 48x3.5x2"






















"The Descent" detail






"The Difficult Lesson" 3x16x2"















"The Difficult Lesson" detail















"The Difficult Lesson" detail

1 comment:

  1. You were right, I'm very glad I checked out his site.

    I'm blown away at the idea that he makes every element of these works himself. I have to find a way down south, because I'm guessing seeing these in person would easily be worth the cost of a plane ticket.

    ReplyDelete