When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mioke

Mioke (or sometimes Moki) is a german artist with a peculiar combination of influences and interests. Her deep rooted love of mysterious landscapes combines with a gentle surrealism and introduces an odd cast of mythical creatures, all of this influenced to some degree by animé so that there appears to be a distinctly Japanese flavor to her work. Her visual ideas meander a good deal making it difficult to pin down specific themes. She obviously intuits her way through her imagery, leaving it to others to interpret, which explains her insistence on not titling her work (although I do wish she would provide sizes). Some pieces remind me of the artist Dan May (and I wonder if one influences the other in any way). While Dan May's work is focused almost exclusively on the characters of his imagined mythology for Moki there must always be a landscape, a secret and hidden landscape, in which her characters appear or disappear for it defines and contains them.
www.mioke.de

















2009

















2009




















2008






















2007

No comments:

Post a Comment