When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, January 4, 2010

Andrey Mamaev

Andrey Mamaev's realism is very much in the Russian academic tradition and unapologetically romantic. We have all seen so many bad examples of this kind of art that it is sometimes difficult to recognize when it is done well. I don't have much more to say on the subject except to emphasize that you really need to click on these images and view them larger to appreciate the almost calligraphic fluidity of his technique. The size is not indicated on these pieces but most of his work is surprisingly small.
More of his work, and lots and lots of great details, can be seen on his Flickr page.

















"The Crossing" oil on cardboard















"The Crossing" detail























"Wish Tree" oil on cardboard
















"Wish Tree" detail























"Spring Breeze" oil on cardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment