When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sangram Majumdar

All drawing is essentially building images out shapes. Sangram Majumdar's work has taken this essential fact, broken it down and in the process rediscovered how to draw. I'm not sure exactly how to explain what I'm seeing. His paintings of scrap lumber are perfectly suited to, and perfectly illustrates his approach. But you have to look at all his work get an idea of the subtlety and deftness of his approach. Even his figurative paintings have an architectural quality, but they still breathe. And his drawings, worked and reworked, are simply exquisite.
www.sangrammajumdar.com



















"Eclipsed" 78x90" oil on linen 2009













"Presence" 60x108" oil on linen 2008





















"The Maze" 38x42 2009

















"Stacks 1" 28x38" 2008

















"Fold" 30x44" charcoal on paper 2007















"Montecastello Days" 59x40" (approx) 2008

2 comments:

  1. A truly fabulous painter, and I actually get to meet him in person and hear him teach and lecture this coming spring. Great post and intro!

    ReplyDelete