When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, November 9, 2009

Michael Brown

I'm not sure what to say about Michael Brown's work except perhaps to point out that there's a blend of darkness and cuteness that other artists have explored. But while most of them take their imagery into the realm of kitschy irony, Michael Brown does something more. Somehow the overall effect of these paintings remains subtle and that's the wonder of it.
I came upon Michael Browns work through a fellow art blogger at paintblog.ca. You can see more of his work at his Gallery's website (sarahbaingallery.com) and there's an interview with more pictures on another blog commandax.blogspot.com.






















"Deuce"





















"Kind" 10x10" 2008


















"Octopusspuss"

I Had to include the following because I always find it fascinating to see samples of an artist's work that does not fit in with his or her established style. I presume it's an earlier piece, but what's compelling here is that, despite the fact that he apparently abandoned this approach, it remains a very successful, well executed painting. But don't look back Michael. I love what you're doing.






















"Caught in the Eye" 24x20"

No comments:

Post a Comment