When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, November 16, 2009

Peter Archer 2

Peter Archer's beautiful and atmospheric realism appears to be gradually dissolving into a mist of storm and sea. The careful (and clearly time-consuming) rendering of some of his earlier work (see my previous post) has given way to a more impressionistic approach. But this is not simply a more immediate or quicker approach to image making. Rather it is a careful and systematic exploration of the image itself, trying to eke out it's surprises. He is not trying to define the scene's essence but explore its possibilities. One painting on his website is dated 2004-2008 which gives you an idea of the potential difficulty in "finishing" such a work. Fortunately for us he does.
see more at peterarcher.net

















"Naval Vessel: Sea Fog" 24x30" 2009

















"The Clemenceau, winter" 36x48" 2009

you can click on these to view larger.













"Swollen river (umber) 12x20" 2008













"Pipe entering the sea" 20x36" 2008
















"Northern upland, snow remnants" 35.5x51cm

2 comments:

  1. These are museum quality gems of realist painting, and I will definitely browse his paintings thoroughly. They remind me a great deal of some of the realist painters in Israel like Uri Blayer and Daniel Enkaoua. I find the effect of wet atmosphere in "Pipe entering the Sea" a truly masterful handling of paint and an intense observational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look up the artists you mentioned. And your right, any museum would benefit from these pieces.

    ReplyDelete