When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, November 1, 2010

William Wray

William Wray's urban paintings have a quiet introspective appeal. (note: I originally referred to them as plein air, but Mr. Wray was kind enough to comment and the examples below are all studio paintings). His quick brushwork comes across as intuitive but spot on, a kind of impressionistic approach bordering at times on expressionism. Careful hue and value changes are deftly employed to depict both dramatic and subtle lighting. The technique is in service to the character of his scenes. These are places one only notices when alone, when the mind and eye can drift and one is reminded how odd it is to feel such emptiness in a city. It is in this almost narrative depiction of place that one can sense his illustration influences (J. C. Leyendecker, Dean Cornwell, Frank Brangwyn and N. C Wyeth are cited). In fact, the artist is also a very successful cartoonist who goes by Bill. That side of his professional career (which includes work on Ren and Stimpy, and Mad magazine) comes through a bit more in his figurative work which can be seen, along with much more of the urban landscapes, on his website: williamwray.com
and on his long running and active blog: williamwray.blogspot.com



"Rex" 32" x 24"






































"Lincoln Heights Night"  12" x 16"






































"New Car"  24" x 16"


























"Target"  16" x 24"






































title unknown

















2 comments:

  1. thanks David the only thing I'd like to note is all the examples you have up are studio paintings. I consider myself just a painter, but do still go out from time to time to keep my hand in, but it not like a few years ago when I was out all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks William. I'll make a correction!

    ReplyDelete