When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Paul Smith


untitled  2009
2009


oil on canvas  2010

"Bawdeswell Heath"  2010

self portrait  oil on board  2010
Paul Smith is an English artist whose unpretentious goals are to capture the look and feel, and possibly something of the spirit of the woods and landscapes near his home in Norfolk. I say unpretentious, because this sort of art has been, and continues to be pursued by countless obscure artists, professional and amateur, across the globe, most of it merely reflecting what the artist thinks such a painting ought to look like, ending up a hackneyed imitation of someone else's vision. But it seems to me that Paul Smith's work genuinely conveys a deep and abiding passion for the woods, heaths and fenlands of his home. He's less interested in achieving a specific look or technique than he is in conveying to the best of his ability the world he still thrills to inhabit. He produces still life and portrait work as well. There is in fact quite a variety to his body of work, but his central passion is clearly for the leaves and trees, the rocks and waterways, and the quiet wild lands of East Anglia. Check out his website: paulsmithpaintings.co.uk or you can see larger images on his Flickr page.

2 comments:

  1. L'amoureuse des arbres que je suis, j'adore la manière que ceux-ci sont traités dans ses oeuvres; Bravo!
    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. roughly translated: The love of trees that I have. I love the way they are treated in his works; Bravo! Big kisses.

    glad you enjoyed these Martine!

    ReplyDelete