When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, April 25, 2011

Myeongbeom Kim

Untitled  Deer taxidermy, branches, leaves

"Edison"  15" x 15" x 30"  Branch, goldfish, glass, steel

"Leave"  installation

"Chair"

Untitled  balloons, oak tree


Most of my posts fall in the category of representational painting. That's what I know. It's what I do and feel best qualified to comment on. But it's not the only thing I'm interested in looking at, and it's good to mix things up now and then. Myeongbeom Kim is a sculptor, installation and performance artist whose work is quite varied, and reflects an ongoing obsession with trees, balloons and goldfish bowls. There's a lot of clever juxtapositions going on and some interesting commentary on both the fragility and tenacity of nature. But mostly he displays the wit and ingenuity that all art requires to take the viewer by surprise and force us to look at the familiar as if it were new and strange. There's a lot of work to look through on the website so take your time.

I saw this work first on www.artistaday.com

1 comment: