When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Timothy Cummings

   Masks, 2003, Iris with handwork and monotype, 16" x 13.375"

   Spot Portrait, 2001, acrylic on board, approx. 10" x 8"

  Owl Girl Lives in the Garden, 2004, acrylic on panel, 10" x 8"

Pretty on the Inside, 2003, acrylic on panel, 18" x 14"

   Spot Portrait, 2001, acrylic on board, approx. 10" x 8"

On his website (www.timothy-cummings.com) I could not find any images more recent than 2005. It appears that he's working on some film projects but that part of the website merely says, coming soon. Nonetheless, the images were so striking that I felt I had to post them. About half of his work are simply faces occluded by varying masks and marks, most of which lend a slightly horrific aspect. On a couple, the face is covered in scrawled doodles, linking somehow the ritual markings of so-called primitive cultures and the developed world's need for individualist self-expression. The result is not comforting. There is other imagery as well and all of his work is beguiling and slightly disturbing. Just the way I like it. Go check it out.



I came across his name on an ad for a show at the Florida State University Museum of Fine Arts, called "Cute and Creepy" coming this October. Over half of the artists to be included in the show are artists I've included in this blog. Including Lori Field who posted the ad. I do not currently have any other info on the show. But I guess the curator and I have some similar tastes. Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. i thank you very much for your recommendations. even if i don't like all of your posts, your blog always is worth to be regarded. beguiling uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks Katharina. I look at quite a few art blogs and most of what gets posted doesn't do much for me. It's all pretty subjective in the end. And the artists I post range a lot both in skill and career level. They're not equals. There's just something about each one that appeals to me. I'm glad at least some appeal to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be featuring Timothy Cumming's work in our first issue, online this month!
    http://www.periwinklejournal.com

    ReplyDelete