When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Caitlin Hackett

To this day I enjoy sketching with a ball point pen. I've always thought of it as part of my intrinsic laziness. You know, just using what ever is convenient instead of hassling with crowquills and brushes. But if I'd seen Caitlin Hackett's work early on in my career I might well have taken it up as my medium of choice. She employs the ballpoint pen, among other materials, to create some exquisitely rendered pieces of dark surrealism. These first two are large. I can imagine that the initial impact of the work would be quite impressive, only to be surpassed by slow and careful close-up examination of the details.
You can see some more at her website caitlinhackett.carbonmade.com






















"In the Aftermath", 4' 7" x 5' 11" ballpoint pen, ebony pencil, water color, colored pencil, gesso






















"In the Aftermath" detail





















untitled, 4' 7" x 4' 8" ballpoint pen, water color, ebony pencil, colored pencil















untitled detail


















early work






















an illustration

2 comments:

  1. wow! quite outstanding pieces of art.. very impressive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you think so Daria. It's always nice to see comments and know someone else is enjoying the art.

    ReplyDelete