When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, March 22, 2010

Colette Calascione

Borrowing from the surrealists and the 18th century, Colette Calascione offers up a mesmerizing assortment of, presumably, allegorical images. Decoding them may not always be easy. It may not even be necessary. Just let your eye explore the details, your mind wander the inferences, and enjoy the evocative nature of these densely depicted scenes.
www.calascione.com

















"Coincidental Gathering" 24" x 28" oil on wood 2003/2004






















"Dream of the Hungry Ghost" 23" x 28" oil on wood 2003
















"Lost at Sea" 10" x 14" oil on linen 2000






















"Alia" 11" x 14" oil on linen 2009

...and of course I simply had to post this piece. Maybe not her strongest work, but hilarious:
















"Abduction" 16" x 20" oil on wood 1997

1 comment: