When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Alexey Adonin

"Frozen In Time"  oil on canvas  80x80cm  2011
"Afflatus"  oil on canvas  80x80cm  2010

"Dream Symphony"  oil on canvas  80x80cm  2011
"The Red Planet"  oil on canvas  50x60cm  2008
One of my rare abstract entries is by an artist originally from Belarus and now residing in Jerusalem. There's a resemblance to abstract science fiction illustrations from the 1960s (like Robert Powers) that immediately appealed to me. I do not think the similarity can be accidental as there is a distinct homage to science fiction in some of his work as in "The Red Planet" above. While the images are essentially abstract and are, according to the artist, created without any preconception there is always a strong hint of figuration or more commonly landscape. He builds up layers using a variety of techniques with large windows in each, so that the final images is a kind of collage of textures. You can see more of his work on his Flickr page and also on Bluecanvas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment